Asian Salmon or Tuna Burgers – 4 servings
Although we love a good hamburger, your arteries may need a break from the cholesterol within a standard beef burger. Try switching it up with a nice Salmon or Tuna burger filled with omega-3s to help improve both your HDL and LDL levels. Want to take it a step further? Serve it on a whole grain bun to boost your fiber for the day!
Asian Tuna Burger Ingredients:
1 egg white
1/3 cup low sodium teriyaki sauce
1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 TBSP grated fresh ginger root
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
1 lb. salmon (or tuna steak), finely chopped (or pulsed gently in a food processor)
3/4 cup whole-wheat panko breadcrumbs
Whole-wheat hamburger buns
Toppings (optional): lettuce, grilled pineapple, sliced red onion, sliced avocado, wasabi mayo
Side dish: Simple Pickled Cucumbers:
1 seedless or English cucumber, halved and thinly sliced
3 TBSP rice vinegar
1/2 tsp sugar
- For the pickled cucumber: In a small bowl, combine cucumber, vinegar, and sugar. Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes. Serve alongside burgers.
- In a large bowl, combine egg white, marinade, onions, cilantro, ginger, and red pepper flakes.
- Stir in tuna and panko; mix gently to combine. Form into 4 patties. Set aside.
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray; place over medium heat.
- Add patties to skillet; cook 3-4 minutes per side or to the desired doneness.
- Place burgers into buns. Add desired toppings and serve.
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 10 g||16 %|
|Saturated Fat 3 g||14 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g|
|Trans Fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 57 mg||19 %|
|Sodium 342 mg||14 %|
|Potassium 156 mg||4 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 22 g||7 %|
|Dietary Fiber 3 g||11 %|
|Sugars 5 g|
|Protein 28 g||56 %|
|Vitamin A||5 %|
|Vitamin C||1 %|