Cowboy Caviar, Dinner at The Zoo (8 servings)
Have you ever noticed the veggie tray at get-togethers often goes largely untouched? Offering a veggie-heavy salsa/dip is a fantastic way to ensure party-goers are getting their daily dose of fiber while preventing the dreaded food waste. Pro-tip: using seasonal summer veggies will enhance the freshness and flavor of your dish!
Cowboy Caviar Ingredients:
- 1 can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 can black-eyed peas rinsed and drained
- 1 cup tomatoes seeded and finely diced
- 1 jalapeño seeded and finely diced
- 1 cup corn can be fresh, canned or thawed from frozen
- 1 avocado chopped
- 3/4 cup red and/or orange bell pepper seeded and finely diced
- 1/2 cup red onion finely diced
- 1/3 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Place the beans, black-eyed peas, tomatoes, jalapeño, corn, avocado, bell pepper, onion, and cilantro in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, honey, chili powder, cumin and salt, and pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the bean mixture and toss gently to coat. Serve as a salad or with chips.