Italian Turkey Meatballs Recipe
Italian Turkey Meatballs Ingredients:
- olive oil spray
- 20 oz 1.3 lb ground turkey breast 99% lean
- 1/4 cup whole wheat seasoned breadcrumbs, or gluten-free crumbs
- 1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 large clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp kosher salt + fresh pepper
For the Marinara Sauce
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 28 oz cans crushed tomatoes, I like Tuttorosso
- 1/2 small onion, keep whole
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped basil
- salt and fresh pepper to taste
- In a medium size pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and saute until golden, being careful not to burn. Add crushed tomatoes, onion, salt, pepper, oregano, basil and bay leaf. Stir and reduce heat to low. Cover and let simmer on low 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine ground turkey, breadcrumbs, egg, parsley, garlic and cheese. Using wet hands, mix all the ingredients well until everything is combined. Form small meatballs, about the size of a ping ping ball (1/8th cup each).
- Add the meatballs to the sauce and cook about 20 minutes. Discard the bay leaf and serve over pasta or on whole wheat Italian bread for a meatball hero.