Spinach Lasagna Ingredients:
- Two 10-ounce boxes frozen, chopped spinach
- 2 cups part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder or 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- One 24-ounce jar tomato sauce or marinara sauce, store-bought or homemade
- 9 whole-grain lasagna noodles, uncooked
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Coat a 9 x 13–inch baking dish with nonstick oil spray.
- Cook the spinach according to package directions and squeeze out the water. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the ricotta cheese, egg, egg white, pepper, garlic powder, basil, and oregano. Add the spinach and mix again thoroughly.
- Cover the bottom of the pan with tomato sauce (about one-quarter of the jar) and place down 3 of the uncooked lasagna noodles. Top with half of the spinach-ricotta mixture and then a layer of 3 more noodles. Top with the remaining spinach-ricotta mixture and then the remaining 3 lasagna noodles. Pour the remaining tomato sauce on top.
- Sprinkle on the mozzarella cheese. Pour about ½ cup of water around the edge of the pan (this will cook the noodles), and cover the pan tightly with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Remove the foil and bake uncovered for 30 more minutes. Let cool for 10 to 15 minutes before slicing to allow the lasagna to set and the extra water to be absorbed.