- 2 tsp butter
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled & chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 8 cups chicken broth, (or sub vegetable broth)
- 3 cups water
- 1 small Parmigiano Reggiano Rind, optional
- 18 oz spinach cheese tortellini
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 cups baby spinach
- salt to taste
- Parmigiano Reggiano, grated
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium-low heat.
- When melted, add the celery, onion, carrot & garlic.
- Cover and reduce heat to low and cook for approximately 8-10 minutes until vegetables begin to soften.
- Add the chicken broth, water, parmesan cheese rind and increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil.
- When broth boils, add salt (to taste), pepper and nutmeg. Stir to combine.
- Reduce heat to low and add tortellini. Simmer until tortellini cooks to al dente according to package directions.
- Once cooked, remove the rind, and add the baby spinach.
- Stir to combine then serve with freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano!