Stuffed Cabbage Casserole
- 2 tsp olive oil, divided
- 1 lb. 95% lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped fine
- 1 tbsp finely minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp sweet Hungarian Paprika
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 heads green cabbage, coarsely chopped
- 1 can, 14.5 oz. petite dice tomatoes with juice
- 1 can, 15 oz. tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 cups low-fat mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a large glass casserole dish with non-stick spray. (My dish was 13″ x 10″)
- Heat a large frying pan on medium heat; add ground beef and cook until it’s browned and cooked through, breaking it apart as it cooks. Remove ground beef and set aside.
- In the same pan, add 1 tsp olive oil, chopped onion and cook over medium heat until the onion is translucent and starting to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic, dried thyme, and paprika and cook about 2 minutes more. Then add the diced tomatoes with juice, tomato sauce, and ground beef.
- Add water to the pan. Simmer until it’s hot and slightly thickened, about 15-20 minutes.
- While it simmers, cut cabbage in half, cut out the core, and remove any wilted outer leaves; chop the cabbage coarsely into 1 inch pieces.
- Heat remaining olive oil in a large frying pan or dutch oven; add the cabbage and cook over medium-high heat until the cabbage is wilted and about half cooked, turning it over several times so it all wilts and cooks. Season with salt and fresh-ground black pepper.
- When the meat and tomato sauce mixture has cooked and thickened a bit, stir in the 2 cups of cooked rice and gently combine.
- Spray casserole dish with non-stick spray and the layer half the cabbage, half the meat mixture, remaining cabbage, and remaining meat mixture.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake 40 minutes, or until the mixture is just starting to bubble on the edges.
- Remove foil and sprinkle on cheese (if using.) Bake uncovered an additional 20 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and starting to slightly brown. Cut into 10 slices and serve hot.